Sunday 18 September 2016

Book Review: Damage Control by Michael Bowen

Damage Control (Josie Kendall Mysteries #1) 

Damage Control by Michael Bowen
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

2.5 stars

Josie Kendall, senior development director with political party MVC, almost has the million dollar investment from Jerzy Schroeder wrapped up when he is shot dead right in front of her. She soon learns that the police’s main suspect is her husband, Rafe. Time to go into “damage control”!

Damage Control is a political murder mystery set in Washington.
I enjoyed the overall plot of the story however the delivery just didn’t work for me.

The protagonist and narrator, Josie, is the most annoying 27 year old I have come across. Her voice was all wrong and I had to keep reminding myself that it was a woman narrating and not a male. Josie got the hots for just about every male she spoke to. I couldn’t tell if Josie’s character was real or she was a tongue in cheek version of what men want a woman to be like.

I think that the author was trying too hard to be witty and I became lost as to what they were talking about. Part of this could be that I am Australian and this was American politics.

If you are a follower of politics and the spin that it entails then this book may have more appeal.

With my thanks to Poisoned Pen Press via Netgalley for my copy to read and review.



No comments:

Post a Comment